Friday, May 30, 2014

Hadai gwaii

Had a gorgeous trip up to Bella Bella stopping in Courtney Airpark and then Alert Bay which is a most interesting runway. Waited in Bella Bella for two hours for weather to clear enough in Masset to land.Regular contact / consultation with Flight Services whom I'm going to get to know well over next few weeks .
picture :See traditional site ? Rose Spit and ? Went to Masset and the last 10 miles were cloud mist .... Thank goodness for instrument training ! This is traditional Haida Gwaii weather . Without instrument training they say you are basically toast within a minute - I believe that . I came over airport it opened up and I landed quickly not wanting to loose sight of that beautiful runway ! I'm not so certain the folks here are all that inviting - they are going to charge me $50 for landing after hours (8-6) . Oh well I will discuss it with them later . I'm allowed to sleep in my plane although they were somewhat resistant . It's trial run for 'real' north travel. I was hoping to go fishing etc but not feeling all that welcome .
Glad to be on the ground! I was here 3 years ago on my jetski . That's a whole different story but sure felt welcomed in queen Charlotte city then ! Stayed in B&b in Masset then and not real impressed .
Plane ( retro rocket) did great today!
Lets see what tomorrow brings ....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip! Hope all goes well. Will be following your adventure. A big goodbye Hug to you Joanna

Anonymous said...

bon voyage opi! what a beautiful day to start your journey. Trish

Anonymous said...

May your sheepskin mattress be as good as the one at home =) Wifey